Sunday, June 21, 2015

Expectation vs. Reality

We all have those moments in life where we see something so beautiful or picture perfect that we try to capture it as quick as we can, but by the time we snap the picture the moment is long gone. This happens a lot, especially with kids. One moment, they are laughing and smiling like crazy and then right when you get your phone out to capture the moment its gone. Of course, some of us are luckier than others when it comes to capturing these. We all see the picture perfect moments on instagram or facebook, but did you ever think what happened before or after that picture was taken?

Motherhood is kind of like this at times. The perfect pictures on instagram are the expectations that people tend to have. But, lets get real guys. Finnley is not always happy and giggly 24/7. She throws tantrums when she's too tired, and if she's still hungry when you finish feeding her you will know for sure. I've had so many people tell me, "Finnley is so precious! I'm so jealous!". Yes, I know that she's adorable and all, but why are you jealous?? Being a mom is way harder than it looks, trust me! You all see the cute family pictures and selfies of me and Finn all over social media, but the reality of all this is huge. She throws up when you feed her too much, getting up in the middle of the night is no fun (thank goodness she sleeps through the night now), and the temper tantrums will make you cry and be worried that you can't stop it.

I'm just going to be honest with you guys, I'm still catching up on sleep from the first 2 months with Finnley. And, I'm sure all the mother's who read this can relate with me. I am never on time to places. Ever. Do you know how much stuff you have to pack when you have a kid? Might as well carry around a suitcase! I also want to say that your life will be flipped completely upside down. When your baby naps, you nap. Always feed your baby before you eat, because its pretty hard to eat and feed them at the same time. You always want to have a good support system, because sometimes you just need those 5 minutes to yourself to breathe and pray that God will help you get through the day.

Another thing I want to talk about is the new reality I now have as a teen mom. As teenagers, we go out with friends a lot. Movies, sleepovers, bowling, or even just getting together to catch up. Now that I have became a mom, I haven't been able to hang out with friends as much, or do a lot of things I love doing. As a mom, your child comes first. This is one of the things that has hit me the hardest during this new part of life. My friends will want to get together one night and I have to say "no, I need to stay and put Finnley in bed." If I get asked to spend the night, "I can't, I need to be home for Finnley." I mean, of course I have parents that help me so much, but are they her mom? No, I am. I have cried over not being able to spend the night places, for having an early curfew, for not being a normal teenager, but at the end of the day I have to get over myself and just thank God that I'm healthy and that Finnley is healthy. I have to realize that its not all about me anymore.

The phrase "Everything happens for a reason." has been my motto these past couple of months. We don't know why or how things happen, but we know that it is for a purpose. I look at my baby girl, and I don't feel frustration about what I can and can't do. All I feel is love, and hope. I know that God is going to work through me and her in so many ways that I don't even know about yet. Everything happens for a reason, we just have to be patient and trust in God, because he knows what he's doing. This is the reality of everything, and its scary. But, what helps me get through the day is knowing that God is on my side.

Thank you all for reading, hope you enjoy!
 Til next time, Temple

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and I think its so awesome that you are sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete